4.20.2011

{ hello there }

well, this is my second go round of the day on my first blog post. i had a fantastically written inaugural post, if i do say so myself. and now it's disappeared. hmmm...maybe i shouldn't have messed around with the settings after i wrote the post and before i published it. i even added pictures AND a link. ack.

determination. that's how i got here in the first place. trying something completely new, taking a risk (or 12), and jumping feet first in to the uncomfortable. so, rather than scream and cry about losing my first post, i'll just try to recreate it as best as i can.

this has been a week of firsts. my first total crash, meltdown, disaster with my dinosaur of a desktop. my first very large business expense, replacing said dinosaur with a faux wood grain (ick) laptop. moving files. finding files. almost missing my sales tax deadline. you get the idea. lots of unknown territory. yet, here i am. and i'm not really much worse for the wear.

{anne franklin designs} is the business i started just about a year ago. i'll save the details for another time. i found myself with quite a bit of time on my hands, and i let my inner crafter come out after quite a long hibernation. i repurpose things to make unique, affordable gifts. scrabble tile pendant necklaces is where it all started. here's a picture to give you an idea of what i make ::

my first blog picture!




but i promise you, this blog is not about sales. posts will probably be a little of this and a little of that. i really, really want you to be part of a bigger, fun community that we create together! and for that to happen, you must interact. ask questions, make a statement, teach me something. give us ideas about repurposing. just give us ideas. let's encourage, get to know each other. try to make the world and our communities a better place. phew. that's nothing i wrote in my first post. [stepping off soap box now]

well, i think that's enough for the first post. i will include a link, just so i can say that i did it :: {anne franklin designs} . visit me on facebook, if you want :: and i'm on twitter too. i think i am successfully exhausted from learning new things today.

so, here's where you come in. please interact with me! post a comment. ask a question. give me an idea. anything. just tell me that you're out there, and that i provided your comic relief for the day because of my very basic post. i'm just thrilled to be able to check a blog off my list.

here's an idea of what you can say (yes, i was a teacher in a former life) :: or, just say hello!
  • tell me about something you've done that was completely uncomfortable for you. what did you do? how did it turn out? what did you learn? remind me on a slow day to tell you about my hut trip!

here's an example of something i did out of my comfort zone!
thanks for reading. i'll hope you'll be back. {xo}

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your first post! The fun comes as you post and others comment!! It's the encouragement to post again! SO FUN!!! I'm a newbie too. I see you on twitter and also enjoyed your feature post on Lauren's blog The Elephant's Trunk!! Have fun and enjoy! ~Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. yei for first posts! :) uncomfortable things I've done? mmhm, might have been public speaking. but like everything, practice makes perfect! good luck! and I love your necklaces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the new blog! It's exciting/terrifying/exhilerating all at the same time. We launched on Monday and I'm exhausted but having a ball. Hope you do too!
    Debs (rufflesandpearls.com)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looooooove it!!! Hope to see you guys soon!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your first post! To answer your question about what I've done that was out if my comfort zone: I ran a marathon and raised money in the process to help build a house for one of my former students. I am NOT a natural runner, and couldn't even go s mike with out stopping when I started training. Sixteen weeks later I ran 26.2 miles (very slowly) and raised almost $1800.

    It was a nice surprise to see the marathon necklace you made, since I immediately thought of my marathon when I read the question.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are inspiring me!! Been thinking about a blog for ages...this might push me in! I recently auditioned a piece of my writing and was chosen for a show, featuring local writers reading original work about motherhood. Check it out!! http://www.listentoyourmothershow.com/p/valparaiso.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anne,
    I'm so excited for you! I hear you 100% in the "try new things" world. Marcee and I shut the door on Late for Tea - it's a good thing - but I won't see you at the markets this year as a fellow vendor. I'll look forward to seeing you as a customer though! Love, love, love your necklaces. I wear mine all the time (all of them). I'm excited to follow your blog and hear the exciting things that you post about. And the comments that others add as well!
    Check out my blog (www.funktionalhome.com/blog) and my FB site if you want. (Funktional Home)
    I'll see you soon - market season is around the corner!
    Alexis

    ReplyDelete
  8. I slept outside once with only a blanket to cover me. I loved sleeping under the stars.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anne! Can't wait to see more from your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! Congratz on your first post. Can't wait to see more. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your first post Anne - you inspire me! I'm writing a book about how divorce doesn't have to ruin a family....it's a labor of love with practical "it worked for us" how to navigate the waters type advice. I hope the book will touch people and help them see that the kids really can be GREAT in spite of a divorce and Mom and Dad can thrive as parents to their children and friends to one another. Hugs to you and your extraordinary business. I love my necklaces and coffee cozies!!!

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for your comments! they mean to the world to {afd}! please know that we read every.single.comment., but just can't always reply to each one. we are grateful you stopped by!